Grandmother Moon

Last night Jess and I went to full moon yoga in the park. We arrived late, but found ourselves in a crowd of incense, essential oils and deodorant free bodies with dreadlocks and crystals around their necks.

We stayed. The yoga was good. Birds were flying overhead in the blue sky. There was a person playing a metal drum in the front. We aligned our breathing with the rhythm of the cicadas buzzing all around us.

After an hour, the full moon yoga turned into full moon meditation, and this is where shit got really hippie.

The sun set, and the bats started to swoop overhead. The meditation leader walked around through the crowd with a singing bowl, speaking words and walking with precision to the sound of the wood spoon circling the bowl. He talked about the fact that this full moon, “grandmother moon” was dramatically important tonight. We were supposed to empty all of our fears into the moon, and the moon would pour back love to us.

We laid in the grass and listened to this stranger lull us into hypnosis for about forty five minutes, and then we picked up our towels and headed back to the apartment.

It’s been a busy week, and even if I don’t believe in “grandmother moon,” it was nice to relax and spend time with my thoughts last night. We’ve been busy ever since we left for New York a few weeks ago. 

Picking back up where I left off last time, I was with Ben in Rochester, NY eating lunch at an Ethiopian buffet. The food was delicious, and we picked up an anarchist newspaper on the way out. 

Later we met up with Ben’s dad, who showed us around the city of Rochester. We stopped at Genesee brewing company and enjoyed the view of the waterfalls and the city from the balcony. We walked around a bit, enjoying the scenery and the rivers.

We ended the day getting garbage plates in Dogtown, which were absolutely delicious. Home fries, mac salad, onions, veggie dogs and veggie chili all piled onto a plate with mustard drizzled over the top. We then went over to Ben’s mom’s house, and made finger noodles (sauerkraut fried with dumplings).

The next day we spent the day with Ben’s dad on his boat. I was a little more comfortable on the water this time, and got in the water when we got to the bay. That night I picked Jess up at the greyhound station, and we went out to eat at the Owl House (a vegetarian restaurant). We visited downtown Rochester that night, and got a drink at some fancy bar. We only had enough energy to barely finish the drink, and we were on our way back to bed.

Friday we spent at Ben’s childhood lakehouse. It was really beautiful, and we all enjoyed the sunshine and the water. When we got back, we went out to dinner with Ben’s sister. I ended up passing out immediately when we got back.

Saturday we had breakfast and then headed off to Lexington, Kentucky. The trip to Lexington was less than exciting, but we made it there with just the radio and a few book tapes. We had dinner at my brother’s new apartment and met up with one of our old NCCC friend, Izzy, who lives a few hours away. Then we all passed out on the hardwood floor.

Sunday morning we had breakfast all together, and then headed our separate ways. My brother started his new life in Lexington, my parents took off for Kansas City, and we followed behind. We drove, and drove, and drove, and stopped in St. Louis for food. Then we drove, drove, drove, and made it a few hours outside of Kansas City, to Colombia, Missouri. We have a couple NCCC friends in Colombia, so we stopped at their house. They were getting back a bit later, and we really wanted to get back to our beds in Kansas City, so we left without getting to see them.

Kansas City, 10 pm Sunday night. We ate lentils and rice for dinner, Ben made banana bread, and we all passed out. 40+ hours of driving in 9 days.

Monday morning I hit the ground running with work, and after work Ben and Jess met me at a social justice meeting with the Black Lives Matter movement of Kansas City. It was good, and we saw people we knew there, and stayed and talked a bit afterward. Ben and Jess biked home, and I met them at the apartment.

The next day, work again, and then I had a match with a Syrian family. Jess and I arrived at the home with the volunteer, and were served Turkish coffee. Turkish coffee is coffee mixed with cardamom, cinnamon and cloves with the coffee grounds and spices creating a thick substance at the bottom of your little espresso cup. You stop drinking when it stops being a liquid.

Wednesday I had volunteer orientation in the evening, which definitely still stresses me out a little. I’ve gotten way more confident as far as public speaking goes, but I’m still working on being comfortable. Back late again Wednesday, night, and we all had tea, and watched Amy Schumer. And then were’ back to Thursday, yesterday, with the full moon yoga, bats and incense as well as Somali sambusas and the Refugee and Immigrant forum after work.  

Tonight after work Ben has to work at the coffeeshop, and Jess and I are heading to the Ethnic Enrichment festival in town with a few of my friends from work. And then after tonight, I don’t have much planned for the rest of August.

Maybe I’ll start writing more.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s